View the latest news from the Rockford Area Convention & Visitors Bureau.
Sign up for our free visitor email newsletter to stay up-to-date on all the things to see and do in the Rockford Region.
Get a sneak-peek at what our region has to offer through videos, social media and more.
Click here for the RACVB Employment/Volunteer application form.
ROCKFORD AREA CONVENTION & VISITORS BUREAU
POSITION TITLE: Director of Marketing & Public Affairs
REPORTS TO: President & CEO
Organization - Deliver maximum benefit to residents by generating economic growth through investments in tourism.
Team - Plan, execute and measure the Bureau's MarCom group sales, leisure marketing and community/stakeholder relation activities.
Position - Responsible for developing strategy to plan, direct and implement all marketing policies and programs to determine and measure the short and long-term demand for services of the Bureau. Supervises all communications personnel and agencies. Serves as a member of the senior leadership team.
- Identifies, develops and evaluates overall marketing strategy based on knowledge of established objectives, market characteristics, and cost and margin factors
- Develops, implements and evaluates all internal and external marketing, communication and public affairs programs.
- Develops and evaluates effective pricing strategies with the goal of maximizing the Bureau's revenue
- Coordinates the development of the brands multiple platforms of customer connection including: in-person, on-line, e-media, exhibits , print, web, and brand strategy, marketing programs and promotional opportunities.
- Monitor use of logo, brand imagery and standards on all RACVB and related partner materials, websites and advertising to ensure strategic and tactical consistency
- Create and submit an annual marketing/communications plan and budget
- Implement advertising, PR, collateral, online, community/media/government relations elements of plan on schedule and within budget
- Create strategy to use social media to promote RACVB and establish monthly, quarterly and annual metrics for effective marketing messages. Utilize SEO Google Analytics and establish key objectives for services.
- Train and coordinate work of staff, ad agency, vendors and partners
Stakeholder and Community Relations:
- Ensure regular communications (news releases, newsletters, e-updates, etc.) to/with stakeholders to ensure awareness and engagement
- Working with the CEO, manage political action involvement and government affairs
- Manage close working relationships with local media to ensure RACVB is properly positioned
- Actively participate in trade shows and community events and organizations to promote RACVB
- Collaborate with the CEO to perform market research, analyze results to develop new visitor projects and programs that enhance the region as a destination
- Identifies and monitors global tourism trends to recommend new ideas and approaches of attracting tourism trade to Rockford region.
- Work with the sales staff to forecast, plan and promote services with a results-oriented objective of profitability of services through effective marketing strategies
- Work with external partners to monitor and evaluate their approach to promoting destinations and trends in tourism to continually bring new product development ideas to RACVB
- Lead overall direction, coordination, completion and control of MarCom projects, ensuring consistency with RACVB strategy, commitments and goals
- Monitor project timelines to ensure milestones are achieved
- Present regular progress reports to CEO, Executive Team and other stakeholders
- Evaluate and assess results of completed projects to ensure ongoing success and sustainability
Planning and Leadership:
- Function as part of the senior leadership team
- Assist in the development and implementation of short- and long-term corporate strategy that is aligned with Board directives and Ends Policies
- Effectively manage a budget that supports RACVB overall strategy
Performance and Accountability Reporting, Research:
- Working with the CEO and staff, serve as the internal advisor on Board Governance and company policies, and manage the preparation and submittal of Board monitoring reports
- Directs and reports the research conducted among leisure travelers, meeting/event planners and local stakeholders
- Collects and disseminates primary and other research information pertaining to current and future leads to share with the sales staff.
- Manage the collection, analysis and reporting of data that indicates accountability performance, including hotel data, City and County tax receipts and other Key Indicators
Directs the hiring, training and performance management of marketing staff to meet overall results
- 2 full-time employees and 1 part-time employee
- Advertising/marketing agency and communications contractors
- RACVB Staff
- RACVB Board Members
- Leisure/Group Customers
- Destination Partners
- City and State Tourism Industry Leaders
- Community/Government Leaders
- Local/Regional/National Media
CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Represents and performs a leadership role inside and outside the organization with a global mindset
- Possess excellent communications capabilities in both written and oral forms and comfort with public speaking as a representative of RACVB
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect and cooperation among team members
- Performs assignments in support of the high ethical standards set for RACVB staff
- Performs critical analysis, draws conclusions and makes recommendations about tourism trends
- Utilizes Customer relationship and management software to identify needs and evaluation of services to ensure customer satisfaction
- Direct the creation and implementation of innovative concepts, messages, images and delivery systems
- Be detail-oriented and an effective process/project manager
- Have strong interpersonal skills that allow for success internally and externally and work in a team environment
- Work comfortably with Board Members and facilitate their engagement
- Work effectively with local, state and federal government staff/elected officials
- Be actively involved in the community and its public/private organizations
- Be flexible and willing to effectively recommend ideas to CEO
- Communicate with and effectively direct staff activities
- Knowledge of marketing principles and methods for promoting and selling services
- Collaborate with sales staff in developing media to promote and sell services.
Minimum bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing, Management or Communications plus 5 to 7 years related destination and tourism experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in innovative use of various marketing media including print and digital as well as effectively managing the process of creating and producing a variety of marketing materials and programs. Experience in research, strategy, creativity, collaboration and project management skills to produce meaningful results.
Whether you're looking for a weekend getaway, a group tour destination or a great meeting place, getting to the Rockford Region is easy. Learn more about our convenient location and transportation options.
Download visitor brochures and other literature to help you plan your next trip to the Rockford Region.