Chill Out and Have Fun in the Sun this Summer in the Rockford Region - RACVB lists Summer Love activities and events to enjoy this season
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 18, 2017
Rockford, IL – Summer is a perfect time to venture outdoors, find places to chill and bask in the sunshine in the Rockford region. There is always something fun to do from fairs, festivals and markets to celebrations that bring the community together. The numerous family-friendly activities and one-of-a-kind experiences at our sites, attractions, eateries and in our downtown provide a list of great reasons to love the region all season long.
When the summer temperatures heat up, locals and visitors seek fun ways to cool down and Magic Waters Waterpark is a great place to do just that, especially during this inaugural year of the Screaming Lizard waterslide. Pearl Lake’s crystalline waters attract beach-goers for scuba diving, fishing or relaxing the day away. West Rock Wake Park is situated at Levings Lake and introduces people to a new kind of wakeboarding on a revolutionary straight-line cable system.
Enjoy the beauty of the Rock River on the Rockford Park District’s Forest City Queen where riders can take in scenic views and interesting homes, businesses and parks on the banks of the river. For an action-packed day there’s plenty to do at Volcano Falls Adventure Park with two 18-hole miniature golf courses, Go-Cart tracks, batting cages and a newly renovated indoor arcade with a Lazer Maze. Traverse rope bridges and zip from tower to tower at impressive speeds at Zip Rockford at Alpine Hills.
“There’s a ton to do in our region this summer and it’s so cool to see the reaction on peoples’ faces after they’ve stopped by one of our local shops like Rockford Art Deli or after they’ve experienced an event like Rockford City Market every Friday during the warm weather months,” said Josh Albrecht, RACVB director of marketing & public affairs. “Introducing people to new experiences is a very rewarding feeling and one of the many reasons why I love what I do each day.”
Additional events that are part of the Rockford region summer experience include:
- Rockford City Market at Downtown Rockford (May 19 – September 29) - This weekly public market occurs every Friday and features locally grown produce, handmade items, baked goods, prepared food, live music and more.
- Young at Heart Festival at Loves Park City Hall (May 26 – 29) - Events during the weekend include live music, a beer garden, carnival rides, kids’ activities, food concessions and a fireworks show.
- Rockford Town Fair at Rockford Speedway (June 1 – 4) - This four-day entertainment experience
features rides, games, great “fair” food and drinks, and entertainment for all ages.
- Bruce Munro: LIGHT at Nicholas Conservatory (June 3 – November 5) - Munro’s 8th large-scale garden exhibition in the U.S. will light up the gardens inside and outside the conservatory for visitors to literally see the gardens in a new light.
Summer Love / Page 2 of 2
- Old Settlers Days at Settlers Park (June 15 – 18) - Old Settlers Days is the largest music festival in the state-line area and features live music performances, carnival rides, food vendors and fireworks.
- Rockford 4th of July Celebration in Downtown Rockford (July 4) - The annual parade on July Fourth goes through downtown Rockford and ends with the SkyConcert Fireworks Show over the Rock River after sunset.
- Festa Italiana at Boylan High School (August 3 – 6) - Bring your family for great Italian food and pastries, continuous entertainment, Bocce tournaments, carnival rides, live music and more.
- Winnebago County Fair at Winnebago County Fairgrounds (August 16 – 20) - Enjoy a variety of carnival rides, diverse food vendors, live entertainment, animals, displays and more.
- Japanese Summer Festival at Anderson Japanese Gardens (August 19 – 20) - This annual festival features exhibits, demonstrations and unique performances that appeal to all ages and helps foster a
better understanding of the Japanese culture.
- Rock River Anything That Floats Race at the Rock River (August 20) - This second annual event includes a variety of canoes, kayaks and unique, handmade rafts as they race down the Rock River ending at Prairie Street Brewhouse.
- Midtown Ethnic Parade & Festival at Midtown District (August 27) - All diverse cultures in Rockford participate in a parade of colors and ends with a festival including international food, performances and more.
For more information or to download our Summer Love flyer with a complete list of the recommended events and activities, go online to www.gorockford.com/summer. Make your trip to Rockford a mini vacation and stay at our great hotels, B&Bs or camping sites found at www.gorockford.com/hotels.
The mission of the RACVB is to drive quality of life and economic growth for our citizens through tourism marketing and destination development. www.gorockford.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Andrea Mandala, RACVB Marketing & Communications Manager: 815.489.1664 or email@example.com