Have Fun and Enjoy All the Ways to Love Summer in the Rockford Region - RACVB lists Summer Love activities and events to enjoy this season
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 15, 2018
Rockford, IL – Summer is the perfect season to sit back and relax while enjoying all the fun activities in the Rockford region. With the numerous concerts, sporting events and festivals going on, there is always something to do during this eventful season in the beautiful sunshine. Many activities provide an atmosphere and one-of-a-kind experience for the whole family to enjoy.
When the summer heat transitions to cool temperatures in the evening, locals and visitors gather to listen to the beautiful music made by artists at several locations in the area. Tuesday Evening in the Gardens at Anderson Japanese Gardens provides an excellent ambiance as concert goers can appreciate the lively music every Tuesday evening while enjoying delicious refreshments from local vendors surrounded by the vibrant colors of the garden. Some of the best memories can be made listening to musicians with friends during Dinner on the Dock located on the banks of the Rock River on Thursday evenings at Prairie Street Brewhouse. Music in the Park offers a traditional live music experience for free every Tuesday and Thursday evening at the Sinnissippi Park Music Shell.
The sound of cheering fans draws people to various stadiums and arenas in the area to watch local sports teams and groups. The Rockford Ski Broncs Water Ski Show Team dazzles the audience with tricks, flips and outstanding pyramid formations. Baseball fans and families can enjoy Rockford Rivets home games comprised of the top college players in North America featuring several local athletes as well. America’s favorite pastime continues with Rockford’s women’s baseball team, the Rockford Starfires, at Beyer Stadium, former home of the famous Rockford Peaches.
“There are several events happening in Rockford during the summer months. Live concerts and sporting events are the perfect place to start weekly traditions, meet a group of friends or bring your family for a fun night out on the town while supporting some of Rockford’s favorite local businesses and teams,” said Andrea Cook, RACVB associate director of marketing & communications. “Sharing in these experiences definitely brings the community together and brings more visitors to our region, too!”
Additional events that are part of the Rockford region summer experience include:
- Rockford City Market at Downtown Rockford (May 18 – September 28) - This weekly public market occurs every Friday and features locally grown produce, handmade items, baked goods, prepared food, live music and more.
- Starlight Theatre at Rock Valley College (June 6 – August 11) – Theatrical and musical productions including Shrek The Musical, Jane Eyre, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Anything Goes and Cinderella After the Ball performed under the stars.
- Old Settlers Days at Settlers Park (June 14 – 17) - Old Settlers Days is the largest music festival in the stateline area and features live music performances, carnival rides, a 5K run/walk, food vendors and fireworks.
- Midsommar Fest 2018 at Erlander Home Museum (June 16) – A traditional Swedish festival to welcome the summer solstice featuring folk music, Swedish food, tours, children’s activities and more.
- Juneteenth 2018 at Sinnissippi Park Music Shell (June 19) – A celebration of freedom and entertainment event with art vendors, food vendors, games for kids and guest speakers.
- FVV Fan Fest (June 22) – Rockford’s premier community summer rec night for all ages features NBA Toronto Raptors point guard and Rockford native Fred VanVleet. The night includes a gaming lounge, bouncy houses, agility drills, and a shooting and dunking contest between 5:00pm-9:00pm.
- Rockford 4th of July Celebration in Downtown Rockford (July 4) - The annual parade on July Fourth goes through downtown Rockford and ends with the SkyConcert Fireworks Show over the Rock River after sunset.
- 97th Annual Winnebago County Fair at Winnebago County Fairgrounds (August 15 – 19) - Enjoy a variety of carnival rides, diverse food vendors, live entertainment, animals, displays and more.
- Rock River Anything That Floats Race at the Rock River (August 12) - This third annual event includes a variety of canoes, kayaks and unique, handmade rafts as they race down the Rock River ending at Prairie Street Brewhouse where participants and spectators can enjoy live music, prizes and more.
- Cherry Valley Festival Days at Baumann Park (August 24 – 26) – The 30th annual festival offers fan favorite foods, carnival rides and attractions, and bands to conclude each day.
- Midtown Ethnic Parade & Festival at Midtown District (August 26) - All diverse cultures in Rockford participate in a parade of colors and a festival including international food, performances and more.
For more information or to download our Summer Love flyer with a complete list of the recommended events and activities, go online to www.gorockford.com/summer. Make your trip to Rockford a mini vacation and stay at our great hotels, B&Bs or camping sites found at www.gorockford.com/hotels.
The mission of the RACVB is to drive quality of life and economic growth for our citizens through tourism marketing and destination development. www.gorockford.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Andrea Cook, RACVB Associate Director of Marketing & Communications: 815.489.1664 or email@example.com