FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 3, 2016
Rockford, IL - The Rockford Area Convention & Visitors Bureau is excited to announce that Tough Mudder will bring the new 5+ mile Tough Mudder Half obstacle courses to Rockford as part of the two-day event at the Chicago Rockford International Airport on May 21 - 22.
The Sunday event, Tough Mudder Half, will debut for the first time in Illinois with a five-mile course and at least a dozen signature Tough Mudder obstacles. The shorter format event will require even more teamwork and less physical endurance training. Tough Mudder is an obstacle course challenge designed to test physical and mental strength, stamina and teamwork, including various daunting obstacles with fire, ice and electricity which the event has been widely-known for.
Tough Mudder events typically draw up to 10,000 participants plus 4,000 spectators, and will generate more than $3 million in economic impact for its host community. Ultimately, the airport was chosen by Tough Mudder because of the amount of land available, convenient access to amenities and the relationship built with the RACVB and the airport.
"We, too, believe that teamwork and camaraderie are essential in striving for excellence, which is why we are thrilled to be partnering with Tough Mudder for the next four years. With these shared values the Rockford community looks forward to hosting and accommodating thousands of visitors coming from around the country to participate," says John Groh, RACVB president/CEO. "We are very excited to roll out the "orange" carpet for our Tough Mudder guests in May as we continue to showcase our region as a leading tourism destination for sports-related events."
Tough Mudder Chicago:
• 2015 Recap: For a recap of 2015 highlights, check out this video: Tough Mudder Chicago 2015.
• Location: Tough Mudder and Tough Mudder Half Chicago will take place at Chicago Rockford International Airport in Rockford, IL on May 21 & 22, 2016.
• Obstacles: Each Tough Mudder Half course will include signature Tough Mudder obstacles including Walk the Plank, a leap from a 12-foot platform into water; Kiss of Mud, a crawl underneath barbed wire; and Everest, a run up a quarter-pipe requiring both speed and teamwork. Obstacles at the full Tough Mudder course include King of the Swingers, requiring participants to jump off a platform, grab a lever and swing out to reach a bell before dunking into muddy water; Everest 2.0, a run up a quarter-pipe requiring both speed and teamwork; and Electroshock Therapy, Mudders must finish strong together as they dodge between hanging wires charged with over 10,000 volts of electricity.
• Finish Experience: All Tough Mudder and Tough Mudder Half participants will receive a custom performance finisher t-shirt, as well as a finisher headband and an ice cold Shock Top beer. Tough Mudder Half participants will experience an exclusive finisher obstacle, Flying Squirrel, which requires Mudders to jump from a trampoline, catch a zip line and soar toward the finish line.
• Fruit Shoot Mini Mudder: A 1-mile obstacle course designed specifically for kids. Featured at all Tough Mudder events in the US, UK and Ireland and open to kids over 42" tall and between ages 7-12, Fruit Shoot Mini Mudder gives kids a chance to work as a team, get muddy and experience the thrill of the adventure.
"We are incredibly excited to bring Tough Mudder and Tough Mudder Half to Rockford for the first time in 2016 and bring the experience to thousands of new and returning Mudders," said Tina Fekula, Event Director for Tough Mudder, Inc. "We look forward to hosting the event for the first time at Chicago Rockford International Airport, as well as working closely with the local community and stakeholders to produce a successful event."
Registrations are now open for Tough Mudder Chicago and Tough Mudder Half Chicago; spectator tickets are also available. For those looking for a discounted registration price, volunteer opportunities are also available. To view the current schedule of events visit toughmudder.com/events.
About Tough Mudder, Inc.:
Founded in 2010 with the launch of the Tough Mudder event series of 10-12 mile military-style obstacle courses, Tough Mudder Inc. has since grown to include Tough Mudder Half, an obstacle challenge bringing the thrills of Tough Mudder to a 5-mile course; Mudderella, an obstacle course series created by women for women; Fruit Shoot Mini Mudder, a custom event for children ages 7-12; Tough Mudder Half, a 5-mile obstacle course challenge, featuring all the thrills of a full Tough Mudder event and signature Tough Mudder obstacles in half the distance; and World's Toughest Mudder, a grueling 24-hour endurance competition. The Tough Mudder family of brands is united by a commitment to promoting courage, personal accomplishment and teamwork through unconventional, life-changing experiences. With more than 2 million participants to date, Tough Mudder Inc. will put on more than 60 events worldwide in 2016. To learn more about Tough Mudder, visit toughmudder.com.
The mission of the RACVB is to drive quality of life and economic growth for our citizens through tourism marketing and destination development. gorockford.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Josh Albrecht, RACVB Director of Marketing & Public Affairs: 815.489.1655 or email@example.com
Tough Mudder Media Contact:
Jodi Kovacs, Communications Associate, Tough Mudder, firstname.lastname@example.org
New Event Series to Debut at Rockford Tough Mudder
Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:00 AM
New Event Series to debut at Rockford Tough Mudder
Tough Mudder Half to feature a 5-mile course