RACVB Announces “Summer at Davis Park” - Live Music & Workout Event Series
Free, Family-Friendly Events to Take Place at Davis Park in July, August
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 17, 2019
Rockford, IL – The Rockford Area Convention & Visitors Bureau will bring live music and workout experiences to Rockford’s Davis Park in July and August with a new event series called “Summer at Davis Park.” In total, six Workout Wednesdays and five Music at Davis Park concerts will take place during July and August. Each event is free to attend and open to all.
In June 2018, Rockford Mayor Tom McNamara appointed a task force to increase utilization of the park and advance its redevelopment. In concert with the task force and with future planning ongoing, earlier this summer Rockford Sharefest partnered with the City of Rockford, the park’s owner, to refurbish the park.
The larger vision for the park will unfold and become a reality over the next few years. “However, we don’t want to wait to bring the park back to life,” said John Groh, task force chair and RACVB president/CEO. “The improvements made by Rockford Sharefest and the City of Rockford helped prepare the park for company, so to speak. And, now we’re ready for our residents and visitors to come back to Davis.”
Music at Davis Park events represent a variety of music genres and feature live bands, performers, food and beverage trucks and vendors. Concerts will take place every Thursday in August from 5 - 9 p.m. The concerts are free and open to all. Concerts will take place on the north lawn of Davis Park.
Workout Wednesdays will occur every Wednesday July 24 through August from 5:30 - 7 p.m. Workout instruction will take place on the north lawn of Davis Park. The workouts are FREE and will feature high-energy music and exercise led by fitness instructors from the YMCA of Rock River Valley and a free Kid Zone for kids ages 5 – 12, with activities led by the Rockford Park District’s Youth Sports Department.
“I want to thank the RACVB not only for working tirelessly to attract visitors but also for its work to make Rockford a place for residents to proudly work, live and play. This new event series will activate a long-underutilized community asset and will encourage residents to explore Davis Park and enjoy the beauty of the Rock River,” said McNamara.
Music at Davis Park Schedule:
- August 1 – Joe Stamm Band
- August 8 – Kelly Steward & The Restless Kind
- August 15 – Los Arenales and DJ Cachorro
- August 22 – Dingo and August Hotel
- August 29 – Too Deep & So Wavy
Workout Wednesday Schedule:
- July 24 – Les Mills BodyAttack with Jenna and Urban Line Dancing with Beverly directly after
- July 31 – Les Mills BodyCombat with Jenna and Joy
- August 7 – Urban Line Dance with Tina
- August 14 – Les Mills Grit with Marcus and Joy
- August 21 – Les Mills Combat with Marcus and Joy
- August 28 – Urban Line Dance with Beverly
The first Workout Wednesday kicks off the “Summer at Davis Park” series in a special partnership with Transform Rockford. This special Transform Rockford pop-up event takes place on Wednesday, July 24 from 5:30 – 7 p.m. The first 150 participants who arrive will have the chance to receive a free water bottle. Food4Fuel will be on-site giving out healthy snacks and participants can stay cool with the Pepsi Hydration Station and water misters in the park. This event is free and open to all.
Summer at Davis Park is made possible, in part, by generous sponsorships from the River District Association and Project First Rate.
TIPS BEFORE YOU GO
- Parking is available in nearby surface parking lots at no cost, including lots at S. Main and Cedar Streets and S. Main and Green Streets, both immediately west of the park.
- For concerts, guests are invited to bring blankets, picnic gear and lawn chairs.
- Outside food and non-alcoholic beverages are permitted.
- Pets on leashes are welcome, as long as they are friendly and owners clean up after them.
- Sorry, no smoking or vaping.
For more information regarding “Summer at Davis Park,” please visit www.gorockford.com/davispark.
The mission of the RACVB is to drive quality of life and economic growth for our citizens through tourism marketing and destination development. www.gorockford.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Andrea Cook, RACVB Associate Director of Marketing & Communications, 815.489.1664 or email@example.com.