Tough Mudder Returns to Rockford August 26-27
Popular obstacle course race expected to draw more than 13,000 participants and fans; to be featured on CBS Sports
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 23, 2017
ROCKFORD, IL – Rockford Area Convention & Visitors Bureau is excited to host the return of Tough Mudder to the Rockford region as part of an entire weekend at the Chicago Rockford International Airport.
TOUGH MUDDER WEEKEND runs August 26-27 with more than 13,000 participants – including endurance athletes from around the world – attempting to conquer the grueling course of obstacles. Events taking place over the weekend include Tough Mudder’s overnight event series, America’s Toughest Mudder, which is an eight-hour competitive event series kicking off at midnight on Sunday. Rockford is the final opportunity for those looking to qualify for the World’s Toughest Mudder event in November, with qualifiers being eligible for the Contender Category and prizes. While the Tough Mudder Chicago course is one of the flattest and fastest in North America, it makes up for a lack of elevation with more than 20 obstacles in 10 miles. Registration information is available online at https://toughmudder.com/events/2017-chicago-half.
“We are excited to host Tough Mudder for the second year in a row and to see the event expand this year with the addition of the Toughest Mudder competition,” said RACVB sales director Lindsay Arellano. “This event brought more than 17,000 participants and spectators to the Rockford region in 2016 and accounted for more than $6 million in economic impact. Hosting Tough Mudder is a huge win for our region and we are excited to work with them again.”
As part of the Toughest Mudder competition, CBS Sports will be on-site filming the competition with the race scheduled to air on October 28, 2017.
TOUGH MUDDER 2017 FAST FACTS:
WHO: More than 13,000 participants and top endurance and obstacle course racing athletes, including three-time World’s Toughest Mudder champion Ryan Atkins; 24-times Tough Mudder finisher and Navy SEAL instructor Mark James – currently leading the Tough Mudder men’s “Holy Grail” standings for competitive events; Morgan McKay, who finished 3rd at the 2016 World’s Toughest Mudder; as well as Allison Tai, who finished second at the 2014 World’s Toughest Mudder.
WHAT: A TOUGH MUDDER WEEKEND filled with several events including:
- Regional Toughest Mudder Midwest – eight-hour, overnight competitive event series in which participants and teams compete for prize money. This will be the final World’s Toughest Mudder qualifying event. The race will be featured on CBS on October 28.
- Tough Mudder Half – 5-mile mud and obstacle course challenge featuring some of Tough Mudder’s signature obstacles – but excluding the more extreme elements such as ice and electricity. Tough Mudder Half provides a rewarding yet accessible challenge, serving as the perfect gateway series for introducing people to mud runs.
- Tough Mudder – the signature 10-12-mile mud and obstacle course challenge designed to pull participants out of their comfort zone. With no winners or clocks to race against, it is not about how fast you can cross the finish line it is about teamwork and personal accomplishment.
- Mini Mudder – one-mile obstacle course designed for children ages 7-12.
WHERE: Chicago Rockford International Airport
2 Airport Circle, Rockford, IL 61109
WHEN: Saturday, August 26 (first wave begins at 8:00 a.m.)
Sunday, August 27 (first wave begins at 10:45 a.m.)
*Regional Toughest Mudder Midwest begins at 12 a.m. on Sunday, August 27 and ends at 8 a.m.
MEDIA: Photo/b-roll and interview opportunities will be provided to media during the event. Media interested in a course preview tour, hosting live shots at obstacles or participating in the event may contact Ethan Metelenis, email@example.com or David Cooper, firstname.lastname@example.org.
DESCRIPTIONS OF NEW 2017 OBSTACLES:
- Pyramid Scheme: Even with an added strip of Merrell’s stickiest rubber sole rolled across the middle of the obstacle, this challenge requires teamwork as participants must climb and push their way up a slippery incline to complete this obstacle.
- The Hangover: You’ll be hanging on for dear life on this 10’ monster. Participants will have to climb a giant wooden ladder, angled steeply toward them, before pivoting their bodies over the top and down the back.
- Funky Monkey - The Revolution: A literal “spin” on Tough Mudder’s classic Funky Monkey obstacle. Participants test their upper body strength to complete this challenge while transitioning from monkey bars to a series of revolving wheels – all while dangling over a pit of water.
- Hero Carry: Grab a buddy and get ready for some fun. Participants will take turns carrying each other across a quarter-mile of the course.
- Kong: Taking obstacles to new heights, literally, this will be debuting as the Legionnaire finish obstacle at all 2017 events. At over 25 feet high, this obstacle will have participants swinging like Tarzan, traversing from one floating ring to another with increasing distance between them.
- Berlin Walls: A divisive obstacle course classic, not to be missed. Participants will have to work together to scale this set of 10’ tall wooden walls.
- Augustus Gloop: Participants must enter into a chest-deep pit of water before climbing up a vertical tube. As they attempt to ascend through the confined tube, they’ll be fighting off a waterfall as it gushes down on them from above.
- Skidmarked: If you thought our 10’ Berlin Walls were hard, wait until you hit Skidmarked. These walls are tilted right at you, removing the opportunity to use your feet to climb up and over. We hope you brought your friends – or at least the ones who did pull-ups.
- The Reach Around: Nearly 20 feet tall, this takes participants beyond vertical to climb one of our most challenging obstacles on the course. Playing up your fear of heights and adding an element of toughness, The Reach Around will take you to new heights and odd angles.
- Everest: Everest will challenge participants to sprint up and over a slick quarter pipe. Can’t do it alone? Not to worry – teammates are encouraged to hang over the top to pull their new friends up and over.
# # #
The mission of the RACVB is to drive quality of life and economic growth for our citizens through tourism marketing and destination development. www.gorockford.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Josh Albrecht, RACVB Director of Marketing & Public Affairs, 815.489.1655, email@example.com