James Polk was president in 1843 when George Haskell filed his claim for 145 acres along the western banks of the Rock River. He built his home and sold lots to Seth Whitman and John Coleman who in 1854 built the native stone Italianate villa, now the Burpee Museum of Natural History at 737 N. Main Street. W. F. Barnes built the 15-room mansion next door in 1893. Nine churches anchor the neighborhood. The National Guard Armory, funded through the PWA, was built in 1935 and was nominated for Illinois' 10 most-endangered historic buildings list. Five structures have obtained landmark status. Three were the exquisite homes of Burpee, Barnes, and Peter and Almira Campbell adjacent; and two were theaters: the Times, built in 1938, and the exquisite Coronado, built in 1927. The area is now known as Rockford's Cultural Corridor because of the abundance of cultural sites including the Times and Coronado theaters, Women's Club, Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center, Beattie Park Indian Mounds and Riverfront Museum Park.