Top 10 Things to Do in Rockford
Welcome to Rockford! It’s time to explore and have some fun! Here are the Top 10 Things to do in Rockford…
- Explore a museum! And these aren’t “boring” museums, these are museums catered to kids and adults, alike! Learn something or see something new this winter!
- Let the kids play! We have plenty of gyms and attractions that allow your kids to flip and have fun all winter long!
- Eat your heart out! Whether you're in the mood for old-world Italian cuisine, some quick fast food, or hearty comfort food, the Rockford region's restaurants will satisfy your appetite with truly tasty options and original flare. Find the perfect restaurant for you and your family - Restaurants in Rockford IL | Rockford Dining Guide (gorockford.com).
- Go gaming!
- Get outside and have some fun! Go sledding, try snowboarding, strap on some ice skates or go hiking! The Rockford region is made up of more than 7,000 acres to recreate and explore! Don’t stay cooped up, stop by one of the following places for some winter fun:
- Snowpark at Alpine Hills – snow tubing + snowboarding
- Twin Sisters Hill Park – sledding
- Carlson Ice Arena – indoor ice skating
- Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens Eclipse Lagoon – outdoor ice skating (weather and conditions permitting)
- Winnebago Park District Skating Rink – outdoor ice skating (weather and conditions permitting)
- Winnebago County Forest Preserve District – outdoor hiking
- Warm up with a local cup of joe! Treat yourself and the kids to a delicious cup of coffee, baked good or hot cocoa. There are plenty of local spots to support, enjoy and warm-up this winter!
- Attend an event! Our calendar of events is the number one source for things to do and activities in the Rockford region. See what’s happening this weekend in the Rockford Region! Rockford Events | Festivals, Concerts, Special Events (gorockford.com)
- Dive into our arts & culture scene! Rockford's arts and culture scene is one of many facets. Whether it's a trip to a small, upscale shop and gallery in downtown Rockford, a day spent at the Rockford Art Museum, or a night at the theatre, Rockford has something for every taste.
- J.R. Kortman - Upscale shop and gallery in downtown Rockford
- Rockford Art Museum – more than 17,000 square-feet of space for feature exhibitions and permanent collections, making it one of the largest art museums in Illinois outside of Chicago (RAM galleries are closed until February 3, 2023 when a new exhibition will open.)
- Anderson Japanese Gardens - AJG is continually ranked as one of the top Japanese gardens in the United States and is designed so that the visitor becomes one with the garden. While the garden is currently closed, you can visit its pop-up coffee shop or gift shop
- Starlight Theatre - Rockford's home to musical theatre sits among the green, rolling hills on the campus of Rock Valley College. Closed for the season but worth the drive back!
- Coronado Theatre – Located in downtown Rockford, this historic theatre continues to wow audiences with its architecture just as much as the performers wow them with their acts. Since 1927 it is has been known as "Rockford's Wonder Theatre." View a full schedule of events HERE.
- Laurent House - Considered by Frank Lloyd Wright himself as one of his masterworks, the house was originally build for a disabled World War II veteran and you can tour this home. Closed for the season but worth the drive back to see!
- Shop Till You Drop! In Rockford a unique variety of shops and specialty stores can make for a shopping experience like you have never had before. Here are some of our favorites..
For a full list of Rockford shops, visit - Rockford IL Shopping | Antiques, Malls, Weekend Shows & More (gorockford.com)
- Treat Yourself! Relax and unwind with a tranquil massage at one of Rockford's spas, such as Circle of Wellness. Get your hair cut, colored, or styled for a special occasion at Lucette Holistic Salon, or make a day out of it and get a manicure and pedicure as well! By the end of the day you will feel rejuvenated! View a full list of spas - Salons & Spas in Rockford | Hair Salons & Wedding Parties (gorockford.com)
No excuses now! Have fun and make the most of your time in the Rockford region!